Sunday, February 17, 2008

lunch at Noon Hour Grill
Les Rallizes Denudes Mizutani - Les Rallizes Denudes
Sunshine DVD


A Korean place opened up around the corner from HQ and right now I am thinking I could eat bibombop and kimchi every day for the rest of my life. As for today's music... if we're gonna talk about Les Rallizes Denudes as one of the few true successors to VU (and I think we should) then Mizutani is definitely their version of VU's 3rd album, the quiet one. Maybe it was intentional, I don't know, but these songs are just beautiful and haunting and perfect. Nothing about the Denudes discography really makes any sense at all to me, and sites like this really don't help, but it seems that the random shareblog download I'm listening to here is either the 'official' 1991 CD Mizutani - Les Rallizes Denudes (mostly recorded in 1970) or the German bootleg LP called Deeper Than The Night... either way it's such a good album, and even if you don't want hear Denudes mess around with ballads (understandable), when the quiet songs are over you get a nice 22-minute track of totally ragged zoned-out scorch... I hardly ever watch movies. I'd like to watch a lot more, but every night the stereo always wins. Music is just more important to me. But when I saw Sunshine described as a psychedelic sci-fi epic, I immediately rented it, plus I'm kind of a fan of Danny Boyle - I mean Trainspotting, sure, and I thought 28 Days Later was great... I might even rent The Beach. Underrated, right? As for Sunshine, I had a few issues with it but overall it was pretty great and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes contemplative sci-fi plots featuring ridiculously unwieldy spaceships and 2001-worthy imagery. Despite a slasher movie side trip about 3/4 of the way through, I really dug the man vs. the sun conflict and the way it drove the plot without getting caught up in traditional action/suspense set-pieces. Had no idea what was going on in the last 20 minutes whatsoever but it still looked really cool.

No comments:

Blog Archive